Special Educational Needs Information Report

This information report is written for parents/carers who have children at Barrow Hall Community Primary School, or who may be considering their children attending the school. It explains how we identify and support children with special educational needs at our school. More detailed information can be found in our school SEND Policy that is also available on our website. If you would like to discuss any of the information included in this report, or in the school SEND Policy, or if you have any further questions, please contact John Littler (Headteacher) or Thom Watts (Special Educational Needs & Disability Coordinator/SENDCo) via the school office.


Which special educational needs can the school provide for?

At Barrow Hall Primary School, with the support of outside agencies providing specialist advice when required, we aim to meet the needs of all children who enter our school. We are currently providing for children who have special educational needs arising from dyslexia, cognition and learning, speech and language, visual and hearing impairments, autism spectrum, attention and hyperactivity, dyspraxia, sensory processing and specific medical conditions.

If my child has, or develops, a special educational need how will it be identified?

The first member of staff to recognise that your child may have a special educational need is usually your child’s class teacher. Teaching staff receive regular training on the identification of specific needs. They use this information, together with continual assessment of your child’s rates and patterns of progress, plus any information provided by yourselves, to identify any concerns that may arise. Should your child’s class teacher become concerned about your child in any way, they will speak to you and the SENDCo. The identification pathway is explained in further detail in the SEND Policy.

How are parents of children with SEN included in their child’s education?

In addition to our termly Parents’ Evenings for all pupils, additional meetings are arranged for parents/carers if their child has been identified with an additional need. These take place three times a year and focus on the strategies that are in place at school and at home to help the child progress. Strategies that enable a child to progress at home can also help them at school and vice versa. That is why at Barrow Hall, we ensure that a continued dialogue takes place with parents/carers, sharing any successes and approaching any difficulties that may arise together.

How will the school meet my child’s needs?

The school follows the statutory guidelines outlined in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations (2014). This means that, in discussion with you and with your permission, we will start the process of documenting your child’s needs and how we intend to meet them within the school. In this school, for this purpose, we use Pupil Passports. Pupil Passports are written by your child’s class teacher with yourself, your child and sometimes the SENDCo. The Pupil Passports include information about what your child is good at, what is important to/important for your child, the short term targets for your child’s progress, the support in place to help achieve those targets and how you can help your child outside of the school setting.

How are children with SEN involved in their education?

At Barrow Hall the view of the child is of a great importance. The SEND Code of Practice (2014) promotes a child centered approach to providing support for children with SEN. In Barrow Hall we ensure that children play an integral part in the support they receive. As well as ongoing discussions between themselves and their classroom teacher, their thoughts are recorded on Pupil Passports and shared with parents during the termly meetings.

How is the curriculum and learning environment adapted to meet the needs of SEN children?

Wherever possible, the classroom environment is adapted to meet the needs of individual children within the whole class setting. This includes for example, quiet areas, whole class visual timetables, changing the background colour of interactive whiteboards and the use of computing software such as Clicker 6 and the Nessy Learning Programme. In some cases, children with SEN may not be able to access the age appropriate curriculum. In these instances Teachers work alongside Teaching Assistants in school and educational services available to us to create a tailored curriculum, relevant to the child.

Extra support often takes the form of specific working strategies within the classroom.  Also, small group work or individual support, either within or outside of the classroom, may be timetabled as appropriate.  Any work undertaken outside of the classroom is overseen by the class teachers and implemented by Teaching Assistants fully trained to deliver that specific area of support.

How do you ensure the expertise and training of staff to support children with SEN?

Barrow Hall staffare regularly updated on the most effective strategies to support children with SEN. We work closely with local authority services to ensure that we are delivering best practice. If we have identified a child with a SEN that we have not supported before, we will ensure that relevant training is undertaken.

How is the effectiveness of the provision in place for children with SEN evaluated?

Through Pupil Passports, the impact of SEN provision is reviewed continuously by teachers and termly by the SEN team. In addition, the SENDCo undertakes regular monitoring of SEN provision around the school, ensuing that we have appropriate support in place to enable children to progress. The SENDCo also regularly updates governors on the impact of SEN provision at Barrow Hall. Monitoring and feedback meetings with the governor responsible for SEN (Aswad Qadeer) are undertaken half termly.

What if the school needs more expertise to support my child?

Your child’s progress, and how this is recorded in the Pupil Passport, is continually being monitored and is reviewed at least termly. If the support being offered does not seem to be sufficient to meet your child’s needs, the school will discuss with you the possibility of requesting advice from agencies/services outside of the school. This could include for example, a specialist teacher, educational psychologist, speech and language therapist or paediatrician. In a few cases, the SENDCo may discuss with you the possibility of asking the Local Authority to recognise your child’s needs in a formal assessment/document called an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The process and implications for this will be fully discussed with you and your child’s views will be paramount. Each child and family’s needs are different and require individual consideration.

How are children supported when they move between different phases of education?

Moving across different Key Stages in school is taken into consideration for all pupils. In addition to the summer term transition week for whole classes, teachers meet to discuss children with SEN. Progress from previous academic years is shared as are targets and strategies in place to help meet them. Extra visits and activities are arranged for those who may need extra support when moving to high school, with Year 6 teachers and the SENDCo involved in discussions with high school staff.

What happens when my child moves from/to another school?

All moves to and from other schools/settings are managed by Barrow Hall to ensure that transition for your child is as smooth as possible. If a child comes to us from another school or a pre-school/nursery, every effort is made to liaise with that setting before your child arrives and any existing paperwork is requested.  Where appropriate, school staff visit the previous setting and extra visits to Barrow Hall can be arranged for your child before the transition formally takes place. If your child moves from Barrow Hall to a different setting, we liaise as much as possible with the new setting and pass on all the records of support your child has received from us.

What arrangements are in place for disabled children at Barrow Hall?

At Barrow Hall, we are committed to providing equal access to education regardless of disability. We will meet with parents/carers to discuss an individual child’s needs and how we can meet them. In the instances where a child may not be able to access the curriculum, staff will ensure that the child is still exposed to the relevant topic via different means. This may mean differentiating the curriculum in order to access it. Parents/carers are involved in these discussions with the class teacher or SEN team beforehand.

How does Barrow Hall support emotional and social development?

All staff at Barrow Hall have a commitment to support children’s emotional and social development. If further support is needed, focused groups are formed throughout the school year and delivered by trained Teaching Assistants. These allow children to discuss their thoughts or worries as well as providing them with strategies to aid their development. A pupil mentor is also available at Barrow Hall to support children and families.

How are children with SEN enabled to engage in activities available to children in school who do not have SEN?

Barrow Hall is an inclusive school with activities being made available to all of its pupils. If, on the rare occasion, a child with SEN is not able to access activities being offered by Barrow Hall, the SEN team and the class teacher will work with parents/carers to come to a solution.

What are the arrangements for making complaints about SEN provision available for your child at Barrow Hall?

If parents/carers have concerns about the SEN provision provided by Barrow Hall then we would encourage you to arrange a meeting via the school office with the SENDCo or Headteacher.

Updated July 2017

Please click on the relevant link below to view and download the Special Educational Needs offer provided by Barrow Hall School and the Local Authority.

Local Authority Offer